- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 quarts Chicken Broth
- 2 cups cubed French bread, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Rustic Rub or
- Emeril's Original Essence
- 1/2 cup grated white medium-sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup yellow medium-sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the vegetable oil and flour. Stirring slowly and constantly for about 10 minutes, make a blond roux, the color of sandpaper.
- Add the onions, salt, cayenne, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, and basil. Stirring often, cook for about 10 minutes, or until the onions are golden. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth and stir to blend well into the roux mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring, for about 1 hour. Remove the bay leaves.
- In a bowl, toss the bread with the olive oil and rub.
- When ready to serve, add the cheeses, 1/2 cup at a time, to the soup, stirring to blend until completely melted.
- Serve in soup cups and top with the croutons.