- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 pound peeled crawfish tails or 1 pound cooked and peeled shrimp
- 4 slices stale bread, broken into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dried fine bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Rustic Rub
- Solid vegetable shortening, for deep frying
- Combine the onions, bell peppers, celery, crawfish, and bread in a bowl and toss thoroughly. Finely chop this mixture in a food processor by pulsing the motor on and off several times. Do not puree. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the egg,, green onions, parsley, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Mix well and shape into balls the size of walnuts.
- Season the bread crumbs with the rub. Roll the balls in the bread crumbs. Heat the oil to 360?F. and deep fry the boulettes until golden brown. Or bake them in a preheated 350?F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.