- 4 sweet red apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (1/4 pound ) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375?F.
- Arrange the apples in a 9-x 13-inch baking pan and sprinkle with the sugar and lemon juice. Liberally sprinkle the apples with nutmeg and cinnamon. In a bowl combine the butter, brown sugar, and flour and stir to make a thick paste. Form the paste into patties and lay on top of the apples. Bake until the crust is brown, about 40 minutes. Spoon into bowls and serve with heavy cream, ice cream, or sweetened whipped cream.