- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly-sliced cooked artichoke bottoms
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions, plus extra for garnish
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Creole spice
- 1 egg
- 2 6-ounce snapper or redfish fillets
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saute pan, add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add artichokes and lemon juice and cook until juice reduces. Add cream and reduce for 2 minutes. Add green onions and butter, whisking until melted and incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm over very low heat while you finish fish.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow plate combine flour with Creole spice to taste. In another plate whisk egg with 1/4 cup water. In a saute pan heat remaining oil. Season both sides of fish fillets with salt and pepper, dredge in flour, dip in egg wash, then dredge in flour again; add immediately to hot oil. Fry, watching carefully, and turning when first side is golden brown, about 5 minutes in all. To serve, top fillets with sauce and garnish with green onions.