- 1 quart Ruby Port (optional)
- 1 1/4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 to 4 cups mushroom stock
- 1/2 pound assorted mushrooms (such as Shiitake, Cremini, Chanterelles and white button), sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomato
- 2 large whole Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon basil chiffonnade (leaves stacked, rolled and thinly sliced), plus extra for garnish
- Fried parsnip strips, for garnish (optional)
- Begin port reduction, if using: In a small saucepan over low heat bring port to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer until syrupy and sweet, and reduced to 1/2 cup, at least 30 minutes, checking from time to time.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan heat 1 tablespoon oil, add onion and cook until tender and golden. Add barley and stir to coat completely in oil. Add just enough mushroom stock to cover and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly. Add more stock, 1/2 to 1 cup at a time, as liquid is absorbed. Continue adding liquid until barley is tender, tasting frequently. When barley is done, it should be slightly soupy, like a risotto. Continue with remaining recipe steps while barley cooks.
- In a separate sauté pan heat remaining oil, add sliced mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned and tender; season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and cook 2 minutes more.
- Preheat barbecue, grill or stovetop grill over high heat. Brush portobello mushrooms with oil and grill, turning once, until tender and grill marks appear on cap.
- To finish, stir mushroom-tomato mixture into barley. Vigorously stir in butter and cream. Stir in Parmesan and basil. Using grilled mushroom as a cup, mound barley "risotto" in center and sprinkle with parsnip strips, if using. Sprinkle with extra Parmesan and basil. Drizzle with port reduction and serve immediately.
Grilled Tomato Risotto With Roasted Portobello Mushrooms
Mushroom and Fall Squash Barley Risotto
Portobello Mushrooms With Pasta And Tomato Sauce
Portobello And Mozzarella Sandwich
Classic Risotto Milanese
Sweet Corn, Black Trumpet And Truffle Risotto
Winter Squash And Duck Risotto
Crawfish And Artichoke Risotto
Wild Mushroom Confit And Barley Salad
Shrimp And Artichoke Risotto