- 1 turkey carcass
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, quartered
- 4 quarts water, or enough to cover the turkey carcass
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- Place all the ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, skimming any fat or foam which forms on the surface.
- Remove the pot from the heat and strain into a clean pot through a fine mesh strainer. Reserve any meat that has fallen off the bones, and when cool enough to handle, pick off any meat that may remain on the carcass.
- Reserve the onions and celery for the Turkey Bone Gumbo. Use the broth right away, or refrigerate for up to 2 days, skimming the layer of fat that forms on the surface before using, or freeze in quart containers.