- One-half cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- One-fourth cup milk
- One-half teaspoon almond extract
- One and one-half teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- One-half teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed and picked over
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening, sugar, egg, milk, almond extract and lemon zest, mixing well after the addition of each ingredient. Slowly add the flour, baking powder and salt. Fold in the blueberries and mix until well blended.
- Cover and chill for 4 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls, one and one-half inches apart onto greased cookie sheets. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing them with a spatula.