- 4 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and picked over
- One and one-fourth cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- One-half teaspoon salt
- One and one-half teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- One-third cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the blueberries in an ovenproof casserole and sprinkle with one-half cup of the sugar. Set aside. Put the shortening in a mixing bowl. While beating, slowly add the remaining three-fourths cup sugar. Add the egg and beat well.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder, then add the mixture to the shortening-sugar mixture alternately with the milk. Mix in the vanilla. Pour the batter mixture on top of the blueberries. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle of pudding comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.