- One-fourth cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- One-half teaspoon salt
- One-fourth teaspoon cayenne
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- One-half cup heavy cream
- 2 to 3 pounds sorrel leaves, cleaned
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the bay leaves and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Add the sorrel leaves and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves and, with a hand-held immersion blender (or food processor or blender in batches) process until smooth. Slowly add the cream, then serve hot.
- And if you want to kick it up a notch, add some fresh lump crabmeat. Yum!