- 16 ounces Emmentaler or Swiss cheese, rind discarded and cut into small cubes
- 16 ounces Gruyere, rind discarded and grated
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty French or Italian bread, cubed, for dipping
- Apples slices, for dipping
- Boiled new potatoes, cubed, for dipping
- Pear slices, for dipping
- In a medium bowl, toss the cheeses with the cornstarch to coat.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until soft, 1 minute. Add the cider, water, and lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the coated cheese in 3 additions, stirring constantly and adding more cheese as the previous addition has melted. Once all the cheese has been added, add the salt and pepper and stir.
- Remove from the heat and carefully pour into a fondue pot for serving, and following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve hot with dipping items of choice.