- For the Ragu: · 10 ounces pancetta, diced · 1 pound top round beef, cut into 1-inch cubes · Salt · Freshly ground black pepper · 1 cup small diced carrots · 3/4 cup small diced celery · 1 cup small d
- For the Pasta: · 4 large baking potatoes, peeled, cooked, riced and cooled · 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature · 2 ounces grated pecorino cheese · 1 egg · Dash fresh peppermint oil · Salt · Fr
- For the cheese filling: · 1 tablespoon olive oil · 1 pound Swiss chard, cleaned and chiffonade · Salt · Freshly ground black pepper · 1 pound soft, fresh pecorino cheese, drained overnight · 3 eggs ·
- To Finish:· 4 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- FOR THE RAGU: In a saucepan, render the pancetta over medium heat, about 8 minutes, or until almost all the fat is rendered. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Add the beef to the pancetta and brown the meat for 5 minutes, or until the meat is medium brown in color. Stir in the carrots, celery, and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute the vegetables for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are translucent. Dilute the tomato paste in 1/2 cup of water. Stir in the garlic, wine, diluted tomato paste, stock and tomato sauce and reduce the heat to very low. Cook, partially covered, for 2 hours.
- FOR THE PASTA: In a mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, butter, cheese, egg and peppermint oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add in enough flour to form into a smooth ball. Cover the dough and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- FOR THE CHEESE FILLING: In a saute pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the Swiss chard. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. In a mixing bowl, combine the Swiss chard, cheese, eggs and nutmeg. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Divide the dough in half. Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Roll both of the dough's out into a rectangle, as thin as possible. On one of the sheets of pasta, place heaping spoonfuls of the cheese mixture about every 2 inches. Place the other sheet of pasta over the first sheet of pasta and press down firmly around the mounds of cheese. Using a knife or pastry wheel, cut between the rows to make 1 1/2-inch squares. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the ravioli and cook until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and toss with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE: Place a quarter of the raviolis in each serving bowl. Spoon the ragu over the pasta. Garnish with the grated cheese and parsley.
Carta Musica (sardinian Parchment Bread)
Fried Ravioli With Hot Sausage Ragu
Robiola Ravioli With Duck Ragu
Sweetbreads With A Toasted Tomato, Garlic And Lentil Ragu
Fried Fresh Mozzarella With Mushroom Ragu
Artichokes Stuffed With Ricotta And Salami
Roasted Rainbow Trout With A Lump Crab Meat And Grilled Asparagus Relish With A Lemon Beurre Blanc
Black Pepper Crusted Sea Scallops With A Crab Meat And Fiddlehead Fern Relish With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Roasted Red Mullet With Peasant Meat Juices
Seared Grouper With Peasant Meat Juices