- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons 80/20 blend oil (80% olive oil and 20% vegetable oil)
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg white
- 1 cup plus 2 ½ tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 generous teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 ½ tablespoons sour cream
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped (or about 1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla bean paste)
- Olive Oil Mousse, for assembling dessert
- Salted Caramel Sauce, for assembling dessert
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream, for garnishing dessert
Preheat the oven to 350º F and set oven to a low convection/convection setting if possible. Spray a jelly roll pan (12” X 17” X 1”) with nonstick pan spray and then line the bottom with parchment paper. Lightly spray the parchment with pan spray.
Fit a standing electric mixer with the whip attachment and whip the oil, sugar, and eggs on speed 2 until pale and fluffy, 6 to 8 minutes.
Sift together the flour and baking soda and add to the bowl of the mixer. Mix until just combined, scraping the sides. Whisk together the buttermilk , sour cream, and vanilla bean seeds and add to the bowl, mixing until just combined, scraping the sides as needed.
Pour the batter onto the prepared pan, smoothing the batter so that it has an even thickness. Bake until golden and a tester comes out clean, about 10 minutes. (Note: If your oven does not have a convection feature, you may need to bake it an additional few minutes.)
Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool.
Once cool, cut the cake into small circles or squares, and serve in small dessert glasses or bowls, alternating layers of the cake with layers of the Salted Caramel Sauce and the Olive Oil Mousse. Top with whipped cream and drizzle a bit of the Salted Caramel over the top.
Olive Oil Mousse
Salted Caramel Sauce
Parmesan-Crusted Snapper with a Baby Arugula and Cherry Tomato Salad
Citrus-Olive Oil Cake
Double Cut Pork Chops with Tamarind Glaze, Green Mole Sauce and Caramelized Sweet Potatoes
Banana Cream Pie with Caramel Drizzles and Chocolate Sauce
Chorizo and Sauteed Pepper Sandwich with Lemony Olive Oil-Cilantro Drizzle
Veal Braciolone with Tomato Braised Escarole and Creamy Polenta
Edamame With Sesame Oil And Sea Salt