- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6-ounce) package frozen fresh coconut flakes, thawed, or sweetened flaked coconut (about 11/3 cups, packed)
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat the oven to 350?F.
- Grease a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Using a knife, cut the remaining butter into small cubes. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, blend the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add the coconut, stirring to combine.
- In a second large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Using your clean hands, make a well in the flour mixture and pour the milk mixture into it, stirring just until moistened. The batter will be lumpy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the pan from the oven. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Invert the bread onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.