- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced green onions (white and green parts)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese hot mustard
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peanut, safflower, canola, or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red bell peppers
- 4 pounds broccoli, cut into 1-inch florets
- One 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 8 wonton wrappers, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, green onions, mustard, oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar, crushed red pepper, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to blend. Gradually whisk in the peanut oil and sesame oil until emulsified. Add the carrots and bell peppers and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, steam the broccoli until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli, water chestnuts, and sesame seeds to the carrot-pepper mixture. Toss to coat evenly and chill thoroughly before serving.
- Fry the wonton strips in vegetable oil at 350?F for 45 to 60 seconds. Be sure to stir the wonton strips often to ensure even cooking and prevent sticking. Sprinkle the fried wonton strips on top of the salad just before serving.