- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- Into a mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the shortening and butter and work it in with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and work it in with your hands to form a smooth dough. Form into a disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Use as directed in the Baked Sweet Potato Pie recipe.