- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped Smithfield ham, or other cured ham
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- Chopped parsley
- Chopped chives
- Unsalted butter, accompaniment
- Cane syrup, accompaniment
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, Essence, and salt. In a medium bowl, beat the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until blended, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the ham.
- Preheat a large, heavy skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Lightly grease with enough vegetable oil to leave a film on the bottom, about 1 tablespoon. Working in batches, ladle the batter into the pan 1/4 cup at a time, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until the pancakes are golden brown underneath and bubbles form on the surface, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until golden brown on the second side, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter and place in the oven to keep warm. Add more oil to the pan as needed and repeat with the remaining batter.
- In a nonstick saute pan, add vegetable oil to coat the bottom. Carefully crack each egg into a small bowl and then pour into the skillet and cook to desired doneness.
- Place the pancakes on a plate. Top with fried eggs, cheese, parsley, and chives. Or, serve the pancakes warm with butter and cane syrup, as desired.
Buttermilk And Lemon Scented Pancakes With A Warm Blueberry Syrup
Emeril's Warm Peach Pancakes With Vanilla Bean Ice Cream And A Drizzle Of Warm Caramel Sauce
Broiled Peaches With Bourbon Cream And Pecans
Country Ham With Red Eyed Gravy And Creamy Grits
Emeril's Egg Benedict With Country Ham, Poached Eggs And Fresh Herb Hollandaise
Cornmeal Crusted Lemonfish With Grilled Onion And Potato Lyonnaise And Crabmeat Ravigote
Pecan Pancakes With Boar Sausage Patties And Maple Syrup
Cornmeal Crusted Redfish With A Spicy Red Bean Sauce, Grilled Green Onions Coulis, Homemade Andouille Sausage And Southern Style Hush Puppies
Giant Apple Pecan Pancake