- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 2 to 4 tablespoons cold water, as needed
- Into a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Add the sugar, butter, and shortening, and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water, and work into a smooth dough, adding more water as needed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick to fit an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Line with parchment paper, fill with pie weights or beans, and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the paper and weights. Bake until just golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before making the tart.