- Homemade Bagel Dough
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 8 ounces cooked crawfish tails, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Essence
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup grated white cheddar
- Prepare the homemade bagel dough up to the first rising (before it is divided into pieces).
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet with the vegetable oil, sprinkle lightly with the cornmeal, and set aside. In a bowl, toss the crawfish with the Essence.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the green onions, bell peppers, and garlic, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the parsley and thyme, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the crawfish mixture and let sit until cool, about 10 minutes. Add the cheeses and stir to combine.
- Roll and pull the dough into a rectangle measuring about 14 by 18-inches and let rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the crawfish filling evenly over the dough. Roll the dough into a log and knead to incorporate the crawfish mixture, about 1 minute.
- Divide dough into pieces about 2 to 3 ounces each, measuring about 4 inches across. As needed, knead the crawfish filling into each bagel before shaping. Roll each piece of dough into a ball, then stick an index finger through the middle to make a hole. Smooth the top and sides, and pull the sides apart gently to enlarge the hole. Repeat with the remaining dough. Place the bagels on the prepared baking sheet, 1-inch apart. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a baking sheet with the remaining teaspoon of oil.
- In a large, heavy pot, bring 12 cups of water and the remaining tablespoon of sugar to a boil. In batches, add the bagels to the water and boil, turning, for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove and drain on paper towels. Place on the prepared baking sheet and brush with the egg glaze. Bake until golden brown and crusty, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.