- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 6 cups vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup powdered sugar, as optional topping
- 1 cup honey, as optional topping
- In the bowl of a food processor, mix the dry ingredients. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the oil and the water, and process until smooth. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until the dough is just elastic and comes together, being careful not to over work. Shape the dough into a ball, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Flatten each piece and roll into a 7-inch circle, making as thin as possible. Poke a hole in the center with the handle of a wooden spoon or your finger.
- In a large sauté pan or deep fryer, heat the oil to 360 degrees F. Slip the rounds 1 at a time into the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes, turning once with a long-handled spoon. Drain on paper towels and repeat with the remaining dough.
- Sprinkle the fried bread with powdered sugar and drizzle with honey, as desired, and serve.