- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg white, whisked
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350?F.
- In a food processor or electric mixer, blend the flour, sugar, black pepper, fennel, and baking powder. With the motor running, slowly add the oil and wine through the feed tube. Blend until the mixture forms a dough. Remove the dough and place it on a board. Divide the dough into 30 pieces. Roll each piece into a 3-inch-long rope and then press the ends together to form a ring. Arrange the rings 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with the egg white and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Bake, in batches, in the middle of the oven until the bottoms are golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes.