- Three-fourths cup sifted all-purpose flour
- Two and one-half teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- Three-fourths teaspoon salt
- One and three-fourths cups yellow stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- One-half cup grated Matos cheese
- Have all the ingredients at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a pan (or cast-iron skillet) with butter or oil and place it in the oven until sizzling hot.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together into a mixing bowl. Add the cornmeal. Make a depression in the dry ingredients and crack the egg into it. Break the yolk and mix it gently, then add the melted butter, milk and cheese, blending all the ingredients with a few rapid strokes. Pour the mixture into the hot pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with a chunk of Matos cheese and a glass of crisp Viognier wine. Bon appetit!
Adrienne's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Monkey Bread And Monkey Muffins
Adrienne's Baked Goat's Cheese
Adrienne's Prosciutto, Goat Cheese, And Fig Pizza
Adrienne's Crab Cakes
Adrienne's Spicy Soft Shelled Crab Sandwiches
Adrienne's Fresh Peach Ice Cream
Adrienne's Bing Cherry And Olallieberry Crisp
Adrienne's Fall Corn Chowder