- 1 tablespoon plus
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 3 Golden Delicious apples
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Make sure the oven rack is in the center position and preheat the oven to 350?F.
- Grease a 9 by 9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Set aside.
- Place the flour, brown sugar, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, and the salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter pieces and work them in with two forks, a pastry blender, or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Refrigerate the crumb topping while preparing the other ingredients.
- Peel and core the apples. Now cut one apple in half. Place one apple half flat on the cutting board and cut lengthwise into 6 slices.
- Place the slices in a large mixing bowl and use your hands or a wooden spoon to toss with the lemon juice.
- Repeat with the remaining apples, tossing with lemon juice after each addition.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, the cornstarch, and the cinnamon to the apples and stir well with a large spoon.
- Pour the apples into the prepared baking dish and crumble the topping evenly over the mixture.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the dish from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.
- Be careful coring and slicing apples! Have an adult help you. And heyóbe really careful taking the hot, bubbly crisp out of the oven.
- If you want to make a pie instead, just pour the apples into an (unbaked) store-bought or premade piecrust and proceed as directed above to make an apple crumb pie!