- One-half cup shortening
- One and one-half cups sugar
- 1 egg
- One and one-third cups mashed pumpkin, cooked (or a 15-ounce can pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts, either English walnuts or pecans (not too fine)
- Two and one-fourth cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- One-fourth teaspoon ground nutmeg
- One-fourth teaspoon ground cloves
- One-half teaspoon ground ginger
- One-half teaspoon ground cinnamon
- About one-half teaspoon salt, or a little more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the first four ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth. Mix in the raisins and the nuts. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and spices. Blend together.
- Drop rounded teaspoons of the mixture onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until slightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.