- 1 large teaspoon of cardamom seeds
- 2 to 4 cinnamon sticks
- Lemon peel from half a lemon
- 15 cloves
- 2 pieces of ginger
- One-half cup vodka
- 1 bottle red wine (reasonably priced)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar *See below
- * To make vanilla flavored sugar, pour one pound of granulated sugar into an airtight container. Shove a fresh vanilla bean down into the jar with the sugar and store until ready to use.
- Crush the cardamon seeds and cinnamon sticks in a small bowl. Transfer the mixture to a large glass jar. Add the lemon peel, cloves, ginger and the vodka. Cover and let sit for at least 8 hours. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve.
- Combine the mixture with the wine and sugars in a non-reactive saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar and heat until it's hot but not boiling. Add more sugar to taste if you wish. If too sweet, add more vodka and wine. Serve this drink warm with peeled almonds, raisins and gingerbread cookies. NOTE: The glogg will taste even better if you bottle it and let it sit for about a week before serving. It does not have to be refrigerated, but if you choose to do so, warm it slowly on low heat before serving.