- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Basic Sweet Piecrust
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream or 2 cups sweetened, whipped cream for serving
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, butter, and salt in a small bowl. Rub between your fingertips and thumbs until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour half of the mixture into a small bowl, and set aside for the topping.
- Dissolve the baking soda in 1/4 cup of the hot water in a medium bowl. Add the molasses, egg, vanilla, and the remaining 1/2 cup hot water and whisk until smooth. Fold in the reserved crumb mixture (not the topping portion). Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450?F.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface into a 12-inch round about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the dough to a 10-inch pie pan. Trim off any overhanging dough to make a 1/2-inch-wide overhang. Flute the edges of the dough with your fingertips. Pour the molasses filling into the pie shell. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb topping.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375?F and continue baking until the filling is set, about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cooled to room temperature, with a scoop of ice cream or dollop of whipped cream.