- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening, for the pan
- 2 cups plus 2 teaspoons bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan with the shortening and flour with 2 teaspoons of the flour, tapping out the excess.
- Sift the remaining 2 cups flour, the baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. On low speed, in three additions, beat in the flour, alternating with 1 egg at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla just until blended. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool on a wire cake rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn the cake out onto the rack, turn right side up, and let cool for at least 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.