- 8 chicken breast halves, bone-in
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 rib celery with leaves plus One and one-half cups minced celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion, halved
- One-eighth teaspoon black pepper
- One-eighth plus one-fourth teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 to 2 cups homemade mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, grated (optional)
- Poach the chicken in the broth with the rib of celery, the carrot, onion, black pepper, and one-eighth teaspoon cayenne pepper until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Salt to taste; cool in the broth; debone and chop fine.
- Mix the chicken with 1 cup mayonnaise. Add the lemon juice, one-fourth teaspoon of the cayenne, the chopped celery and salt to taste. Fold in the eggs and add additional mayonnaise if you wish. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.