- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 pound GruyËre cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, butter, salt, and black pepper over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat, add the flour, and, with a wooden spoon, stir briskly for about 1 minute to incorporate. Return to the heat and continue stirring for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the cheese and beat until it is incorporated and a slightly soft dough forms.
- Drop the dough by the spoonful onto the prepared baking sheet to form a ring (about 12 to 14 spoonfuls). Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.