- 2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (about 110?F)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 small sweet potato, baked, peeled, and mashed or 1/2 cup canned sweet potato puree
- 3 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon flour
- Dissolve the yeast in the water in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, salt, pepper, and butter. Mix well and let sit for 15 minutes. Add the eggs and sweet potato. Add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and work with your hands, until the flour is incorporated and the mixture comes away from the sides of the bowl. Form the dough into a ball. Form the dough into a ball. Sprinkle the dough with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning it to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and let rise until it doubles in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down and roll it into an oval loaf about 8 by 3 inches. Place the loaf in the center of a lightly oiled baking sheet. Cover and let rise until it doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool until just slightly warm.
- Slice and serve.