- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350?F.
- Grease and flour a 9 X 5 X 3-inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and the sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing together between each addition. Add the bananas and mix well. Add the baking soda, salt, flour, and nuts and mix thoroughly. The dough will be sticky.
- Pour into the loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour, or until it shrinks slightly away from the sides of the pan, is firm to the touch, and is a rich brown. Remove pan from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Slice to serve.