- 1-2 1/2 turkey breast, skin-on
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup tightly-packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- Dry spice mix:
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried juniper berries
- Dry rub:
- 1/3 cup crushed dried juniper berries
- 1/4 cup coarsely-ground black pepper
- In a small sauce pan, combine water, sugar and salt; bring to a boil, stirring until solids dissolve. Remove from heat and add dry spice mixture. Let cool. In a nonreactive container pour cooled brine mixture over turkey breast until completely covered. Refrigerate, covered, for 48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Remove turkey from brine and rinse under cold water. Dry thoroughly with paper towels. Using the palms of your hands, press 2/3 of dry rub mixture onto skin side of breast. Press remaining mixture onto other side. Place breast on a rack, skin-side down and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Cool and wrap tightly in plastic. It will only improve in flavor if aged for up to 1 week.