- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 teaspoon buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Into a bowl sift dry ingredients. Cut in butter with a fork or your fingers, until mixture is crumbly. Stir in pepper, to taste. Add just enough buttermilk, a little at a time, for mixture to come together into a smooth ball of dough. Do not overwork or overhandle dough. On lightly-floured work surface, roll out dough into a 7-inch round, 1/2-inch thick. Using a 1-inch cookie cutter, press out 12 rounds. Reroll scraps to make additional biscuits, but these will not be as tender. Transfer rounds to baking sheet and bake 15 minutes, until tops are golden and bottoms are browned. Serve warm.