- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 3 - 4 tablespoons ice water
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, salt and sugar. Add the shortening and work it in with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water to the flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, and work it in with your fingers, adding only as much as needed to form a smooth ball of dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow to rest in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a lightly flour surface. For 2 crusts, cut the dough in two and put the second half back in the refrigerator, covered, until needed.
- Roll each piece of dough out on the floured surface into a circle about 12-inches in diameter and 1/8-inch thick. Gently fold the dough circle over the rolling pin to transfer to a 9-inch pie pan.
- Fill and proceed as directed in the recipe.