- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or lemon-thyme leaves
- 4 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest (from about 4 lemons) plus 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup lemon vodka
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 36 oysters
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced on mandoline, for garnish
- Place sugar, thyme, and zest in a food processor or blender and pulse until thyme is finely ground, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and add pepper, 2 cups water, lemon juice, vodka, and salt and whisk to combine. Let mixture stand until sugar and salt have dissolved, stirring occasionally, up to 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a 9-inch square metal baking pan and place it in the freezer. Stir mixture, pulling a fork back and forth through it, every 45 minutes or so for 4 hours or until frozen. The mixture will become fluffy and icy.
- Shuck oysters and serve with small scoops of granita spooned on top. Garnish with a slice of jalapeno.
- Source: Emeril's Table: Bivalves: Oysters and Mussels