- 6 large russet or Kennebec potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-by-1/4-inch-thick batons
- 2 quarts peanut oil
- Salt and pepper
- Emeril's Original Essence, to taste 
- Rinse cut potatoes in a large bowl with lots of cold running water until water becomes clear. Cover with water by 1 inch and cover with ice. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- In a deep fryer, heat oil to 325 degrees. (Be sure not to fill the oil beyond the maximum fill line.)
- Drain ice water from potatoes and wrap potatoes in a clean dishcloth or tea towel and thoroughly pat dry. Add potatoes, a handful at a time, to hot oil. Fry, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are soft and limp and begin to turn a blond color, about 6 to 8 minutes. Use basket to carefully remove fries from oil and set aside to drain on paper towels. Let rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- When ready to serve fries, reheat oil to 350 degrees. Transfer blanched potatoes to hot oil and fry again, stirring frequently, until golden brown and puffed, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to paper-lined platter and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Essence, to taste. Serve immediately.
- Source: Emeril's Table: Bivalves: Oysters and Mussels