- About 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup cane syrup (we recommend Steen’s)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine the sweet potatoes with the oil and salt in a mixing bowl, and toss to coat well. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and arrange them in a single layer. Transfer to the oven and cook until they begin to caramelize and soften, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all the remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Transfer the potatoes to a casserole dish. Pour the syrup mixture over them, and using a spatula, toss to coat well. Return the casserole to the oven and continue to cook, carefully stirring once, until the potatoes are caramelized and tender, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.