- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- Essence 
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 (15-ounce) can chopped tomatoes and their juices
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Cornbread Topping 
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, for topping
- Chopped green onions, garnish
- Chipotle Crema 
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with Essence on all sides.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to the pan and when hot, add the onions, bell peppers and jalapeno. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, bay leaf, salt, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the corn and cook until starting to color and pop, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices and the stock, and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring until thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. Return the chicken to the pot and cook until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the cilantro and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Spoon the cornmeal batter over the chicken mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the sides.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese on top. Return to the oven until melted, 2 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Garnish with the chopped green onions and drizzle with the crema. Serve hot.