- 1 pound eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices to equal 12 slices
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh basil leaves
- 3 large tomatoes, stems removed, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices, to equal 12 slices
- Pesto Oil 
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Toss the eggplant with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to coat. Place on a baking sheet in 1 layer and bake for 15 minutes, turning once. Cool on the sheet pan.
In a small bowl combine the cheese, basil, and remaining tablespoon olive oil.
Place 1 eggplant slice on a salad plate. Top with 1 tablespoon of the cheese, then 1 slice of tomato. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of pesto oil over the tomato, then another tablespoon of cheese. Top with another eggplant slice, and continue assembling, with 3 eggplant slices per napoleon, and ending with a cheese layer on top drizzled with pesto oil. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature.