- 2 pounds beets, washed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sliced, toasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the beets with the olive oil and season with the salt and black pepper. Place on a sheet pan and roast in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a fork inserted into the beets comes out easily.
- Once the beets have been removed from the oven and cooled, peel them and cut them into 1/4-inch half moons. Place the beet slices in a large bowl and add the Vidalia onions, garlic, almonds, parsley and tarragon. Toss the beets and the other ingredients with the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, orange juice, rice wine vinegar and salt and black pepper. Toss well to coat all the ingredients evenly.