- 5 pounds very lean beef or venison, trimmed of all fat
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablepoons Emerilís Original Essence
- Cut the meat into strips 1-inch wide and 1/2-inch thick, and set aside.
- In a bowl blend the seasonings. Season the meat strips on one side, then turn and season the second side. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Cook the meat until it is completely dried, 6 to 8 hours, turning as needed to dry uniformly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Eat as desired, or keep tightly covered, refrigerated, for up to 1 month.
- Note: If you like crunchy jerky, slice your meat across the grain; if you like it chewy, cut long strips with the grain.