- 8 to 10 cups vegetable oil
- 6 cups very thinly sliced unpeeled red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a large pot over high heat. When the oil is very hot (375ºF), add the potatoes slowly, separating the slices with a spoon, and fry for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350ºF, or medium, and fry for 3 minutes, stirring to keep the slices separated and frying evenly. Remove the slices to a basket and shake the excess oil back into the pot and turn off the heat. Spread the potato slices on a baking sheet and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high under the oil. When the oil is very hot (375ºF), add the potatoes and fry for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to 350ºF, or medium, and fry until crisp and golden brown, for about 6 minutes. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with the vinegar and salt and serve.