- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) coarsely chopped peeled medium shrimp
- 3 cups peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced cucumbers (about 2 large)
- 4 cups Basic Chicken Stock 
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped Italian plum tomatoes (1 or 2 tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup Dill Cream 
- 16 sprigs fresh dill
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over high heat and then add the onions, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper and sautÈ, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and sautÈ for 2 minutes. Stir in the cucumbers and sautÈ for 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock, cream, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the Dill Cream.
- PurÈe half the soup mixture in a food processor or blender and return it to the unprocessed half to give the soup a variety of textures. Reheat over low heat.
- To serve, allow about 1 cup of soup per portion. Add a dollop of the Dill Cream to each and garnish with 2 sprigs of dill.