- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut each potato into an even rectangular shape: cut off the bottom, top, and sides, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Put the potatoes in a medium, heavy saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep, heavy pot or an electric deep fryer to 360°F. Add the potatoes and fry, turning to brown evenly, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt, and serve hot.