- 2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence, plus more for seasoning
- 2 cups steamed or par-boiled and finely diced conch meat (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- Dash hot red pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a saute pan or large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, peppers, and Essence and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the conch and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the egg, milk, and pepper sauce and mix to make a thick batter. Stir in the parsley and the cooled conch mixture.
- In a large deep saute pan or cast iron skillet, heat enough oil to come 2 to 3 inches up the sides of the pan to 350 degrees F.
- Drop the batter, a heaping tablespoon at a time, into the oil and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Season with Essence and serve hot.