- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 2 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- *10 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecan pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream, sweetened and whipped
- 1/4 cup chocolate-covered coffee beans
- Shaker confectionersí sugar
- Sprigs fresh mint
- 2 1/2 cups WHITE CHOCOLATE MOCHA SAUCE:
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces white chocolate pieces
- Grease a 10-inch cake pan with 2 teaspoons of the butter. In a metal bowl set over a simmering pot of water, melt the chocolate with the remaining 8 tablespoons butter and stir occasionally until smooth and creamy. Remove from the heat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the egg yolks with 1/4 cup of the sugar, beat on medium-high speed until pale and thick. In a large stainless steel bowl, whip the egg whites with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Slowly beat the chocolate into the egg yolk mixture (If the mixture “seizes” or curdles, add cold cream and whisk until smooth), then gently fold in the egg whites. Spread 1 cup of the pecans in the prepared pan and pour the chocolate mixture over them. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup pecans over the top and refrigerate overnight. Remove the pan from the refrigerator and turn onto a serving platter. Using a warm knife, slice the cake into 12 equal slices.
- To serve, spoon the sauce in the center of each serving plate. Lay a piece of the cake in the center of sauce. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream, several coffee beans, confectioners’ sugar and mint.
- *RAW EGG WARNING The American Egg Board states: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of food poisoning....Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shell."
- WHITE CHOCOLATE MOCHA SAUCE: In a saucepan over high heat, combine the coffee and cream and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Stir in the chocolate, whisking as it melts, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve immediately or store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 24 hours. Reheat in a double boiler.
- Yield: about 2 1/2 cups
Chocolate Pecan Cake With White Chocolate Mocha Sauce
Stephan Pyles Chocolate Pudding Cake With Mocha Sauce
Chocolate Pecan Terrine With White Chocolate Sauce
White Chocolate Mocha Sauce
White Chocolate And Blueberry Bread Pudding, With Amaretto Cream Sauce
Coconut And White Chocolate Souffles With Mango-rum Sauce
Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches With Macadamia Nut Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies
Megan's White Chocolate Bark With Pecans