- 8 navel oranges
- 1 bottle (750 ml) Everclear or other neutral high-proof alcohol
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 cups water
- 1.) Remove the orange zest with a Microplane zester or a vegetable peeler, being careful to avoid any white pith. Set oranges aside for another use.
- 2.) Put the zest and the alcohol in a glass jar, and cover it with a tight-fitting lid. Set it aside in a cool, dark place for 4 days, until the zest has turned pale and the alcohol has an orange color.
- 3.) Strain the alcohol through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Discard the solids.
- 4.) Combine the sugar and the water in a medium saucepan, and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the syrup is clear. Do not allow it to boil. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 5.) Once the syrup is cool, add it to the strained alcohol, and stir to combine. Pour the orange-infused liqueur into clean bottles, and seal them with corks or screw tops. Set aside for 2 weeks at cool room temperature to allow the liqueur to mellow.
- 6.) Chill before serving