- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg thickened and any floury taste is gone, about 8 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about 2 minutes; do not allow to brown.
- While whisking constantly, add the milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium- low and continue to cook until the sauce has thickened and any floury taste is gone, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and transfer to a small heat-resistant bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the béchamel and then set aside to cool. The béchamel can be stored in a resealable container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.