- One 1 3/4-pound flank steak
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc nam), or to taste
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, or to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion tops
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, finely julienned
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts, for garnish
Season flank steak on both sides with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. In a bowl, whisk olive oil, Worcestershire, fish sauce, lime juice, green onions, shallots, cilantro, mint, sugar, and crushed red pepper. Place steak in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag with half the marinade and seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
Preheat a grill or broiler to medium-high.
Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Grill or broil steak for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes. Thinly slice steak against the grain, reserving any accumulated juices.
In another mixing bowl, combine cabbages, carrots, and cucumber with remaining marinade. Toss well and arrange on a platter. Arrange steak slices on top of cabbage. Garnish with crushed peanuts and serve immediately.