- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded medium-sharp cheddar cheese
Heat olive oil in a 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. When hot, add onions, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper. Saute until onions are soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once stock is boiling, add broccoli and cook until fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
Remove soup from heat and let cool slightly, then puree soup mwith an immersion blender, adding cheese in three additions while blending. Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve hot.
- Source: Emeril's Table: Chef's Tricks of the Trade