- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon minced green jalapeno, seeds and stem removed
- 1 tablespoon minced red jalapeno, seeds and stem removed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and cayenne. In a second small bowl, whisk together milk, 1/4 cup oil, eggs, cheese, and jalapenos. Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and stir just to combine.
- In an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Spoon batter into skillet. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean and top has lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes. Brush honey and butter over top and let cool briefly before serving.
- Source: Emeril's Table: Turn Up the Heat